|EQI Core Home |
Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
Top Ten Suggestions
Other EQI Topics
- Ask others how they feel -- on scale of 0-10
- Make time to reflect on your feelings
- Identify your fears and desires
- Identify your UEN's (Unmet Emotional Needs)
- Express your feelings - find out who listens, understands, validates you and cares.
- Develop the courage and self-confidence to follow your own feelings
- Work on managing your negative feelings
- See the list of feeling words to practice improving your emotional literacy
- Your "negative" feelings are expressions of your unmet emotional needs (UEN's)
- Each negative feeling has a positive value
- Awareness of your feelings increases self-knowledge. Self-knowledge aids self-improvement.
- Actions and behavior are motivated by feelings. We can often choose how we respond to an emotion. Remembering this helps us feel in control, which is empowering. Taking responsibility for meeting our own needs is also empowering.
|Managing Your Negative
Ask: why something bothers you.
Look at the relationship between your unmet emotional needs, your childhood, and your beliefs.
Consider the possibility that some of your beliefs might be dysfunctional and remember that beliefs can be changed.
Remember that accepting responsibility helps release resentment.
Re-frame the situation as an opportunity for personal growth.
Change some of your demands and expectations into preferences to make them less emotionally powerful and addictive.